Texas defensive back Chykie Brown says he’s met with the Patriots
|03.30.11 at 10:42 am ET|
Texas defensive back Chykie Brown told the Dallas Morning News Tuesday he’s already had a pre-draft meeting with the Patriots. The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Brown was a corner at Texas and started nine games last year with the Longhorns. Before he suffered a season-ending forearm injury against Kansas State, he had 19 tackles, one sack and seven pass breakups.
Projected to go in the first couple of rounds, Brown struggled at the combine in February, dropping three balls, but reportedly had an excellent performance at Tuesday’s Pro Day. In front of all 32 teams ‘ including the Patriots ‘ Brown showed off his ball skills, and said he was happier with the impression that he left with the coaches and scouts in attendance.
‘Scouts said I had a great workout and that I looked different in their eyes after today,’ Brown told the Dallas Morning News. ‘My film spoke better than my combine workout and today I brought everything together.’
One of the things that likely drew the attention of the Patriots was Brown’s performance in the 3-cone drill. At defensive back and wide receiver, New England prizes agility almost as much as pure speed, and Brown finished with a 6.5 in the 3-cone, the second-best time of any defensive back at the combine. (For what it’s worth, UTC’s Buster Skrine, who had the best performance among defensive backs in the 3-cone at the combine with a time of 6.44, also got a private workout with the Patriots.)
With the draft less than a month away, Brown appears to be a man in demand ‘ in addition to his meeting with the Patriots; he said he’s also met with the Ravens. In addition, he has ones coming up with the Jets, Steelers, Browns, Texans and Packers.
Here’s some video of Brown in action at Texas (with music):
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick