Source: Arizona’s Brooks Reed worked out for Patriots, but hasn’t visited New England
|04.01.11 at 3:19 pm ET|
A league source says that while the Patriots have worked out Arizona defensive end/linebacker Brooks Reed, they have apparently not had him in to Foxboro for an on-site visit. The source said Reed was one of three Arizona defensive ends New England recently put through a workout ‘ and that the Patriots did focus on Reed ‘ but Reed has not visited the Patriots at Gillette Stadium. (That would run contrary to initial reports that Reed had an official visit with New England late last month.)
Even though it seems incidental, there is a fundamental difference between a workout and an on-site visit. While teams are allowed to conduct as many workouts as possible, they are allowed to host up to 30 prospects on pre-draft visits to the facility. (Thus far, the only two pre-draft visits for the Patriots that we have been able to confirm are Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey and Oklahoma State running back Kendall Hunter.)
Reed is a 6-foot-3, 263-pounder who was a defensive end in college. He had 114 career tackles at UA and 17 career sacks, and earned first-team All-Pac-10 honors as a senior. However, his size and speed leave many thinking he would make a nice transition to outside linebacker at the next level. His time of 4.65 seconds for the 40-yard dash at the combine was among the fastest for defensive ends and linebackers, and his initial burst of 1.54 over the first 10 yards left many believing Reed will be a late first-round or early second-round selection.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...