Vote: Who was the best eighth-round pick in Patriots history?
|04.05.11 at 8:56 pm ET|
With the NFL draft on the horizon, we’re going to look back at the Patriots’ best draft picks by round, with the four best selections the franchise has made in each round. Today, we’re going to kick it off with the eighth rounders ‘ there are three terrific selections and one unique player who wrote his own chapter in franchise history. Vote for your favorite:
Troy Brown: 1993, 198th overall. One of the most beloved players in the history of the franchise, this Marshall product played 15 seasons for the Patriots and ended his career with 557 catches (best in franchise history) for 6,366 receiving yards and 31 touchdowns. A key part of three Super Bowl champions, Brown hit career highs in receptions and yardage in 2001, when he had 101 catches for 1,199 yards.
Ronnie Lippett: 1983, 214th overall. A cornerback out of Miami, Lippett spent nine seasons with the Patriots and finished his career with 24 interceptions (eighth-best in franchise history), including eight in 1986.
Mosi Tatupu: 1978, 215th overall. The sturdy back out of USC became a key special teamer and beloved cult hero throughout the 1970s and 80s. He played 13 seasons with the Patriots, and ended his career with 2,415 rushing yards on 612 attempts, including back-to-back seasons of 500-plus yards in 1983 and 1984.
Bob Gladieux: 1969. The running back makes the list because of his comical role in Patriots’ history. He was cut days before the 1970 season opener, but decided to go to the game with some friends anyway. Before the game ‘ and after consuming a few beers ‘ he was summoned to the Patriots locker room, where he was told he would suit up because a player was just cut. Gladieux then made the tackle on the opening kickoff.
Alternative text for browsers that do not understand IFrames.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...