Judge: I’ll take ‘a couple of weeks’ before ruling in lockout case
|04.06.11 at 5:15 pm ET|
U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson said Wednesday that she will take “a couple of weeks” before she will ultimately rule on the NFL players’ request to lift the lockout. Nelson did say that while he takes the matter under advisement, the two sides should return to the bargaining table ‘ specifically, federal mediation under her supervision ‘ in hopes of ending the NFL’s first work stoppage since 1987.
According to those who were on the scene, Nelson heard roughly five hours of arguments from lawyers for the players and the owners during Wednesday’s session. Lawyers for the players argued in favor of lifting the lockout because it is causing them “irreparable harm,” while the owners maintain Nelson does not have the jurisdiction to issue an injunction because their complaint regarding how the players negotiated is currently before the National Labor Relations Board.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What We've Learned Through Week 2 of Pats Preseason
- Previewing Patriots' Preseason Week 3 Matchup
- Patriots Preseason Week 2 Stock Report
- Report: Edelman's Wk 1 Status Uncertain
- Is Signing Wayne a Smart Move for Pats?
- NFL Files Letter in Response to Brady's Case Examples
- Even with Empty Tank, Wayne Fits with Pats