Wes Welker: Lockout is ‘awesome because I’m on my own schedule’
|04.23.11 at 7:17 pm ET|
Speaking to the Associated Press in Oklahoma City at his free football camp for kids, Patriots Wes Welker talked about how much he is enjoying the freedom the current NFL lockout has afforded him this offseason.
“It’s awesome because I’m on my own schedule,” Welker said. “I don’t have to talk to anybody; I don’t have to see anybody. You see some of the same faces all the time. It’s kind of nice not to have to look at them anymore and see them. I’m kind of enjoying it.
“I like being able to train on my own and be able to do some of my things. It’s good to be with the team, but it’s kind of nice.”
Welker, who said he hasn’t been part of any organized workouts with Patriots teammates, added, “I think once people start losing paychecks, it’ll probably be a little bit different. But I’m not too concerned right now. Hopefully at some point we get a deal done.
“I just know as players ‘ I can speak for myself ‘ I just want to play ball. Hopefully come fall, that’s what we’re doing.”
Douglass (OK) High, the host of Welker’s camp of 180 kids, has recently received a pair of grants from Welker’s foundation, which also recently raised more than $300,000 to help at-risk children.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice