Wes Welker: Lockout is ‘awesome because I’m on my own schedule’
|04.23.11 at 7:17 pm ET|
Speaking to the Associated Press in Oklahoma City at his free football camp for kids, Patriots Wes Welker talked about how much he is enjoying the freedom the current NFL lockout has afforded him this offseason.
“It’s awesome because I’m on my own schedule,” Welker said. “I don’t have to talk to anybody; I don’t have to see anybody. You see some of the same faces all the time. It’s kind of nice not to have to look at them anymore and see them. I’m kind of enjoying it.
“I like being able to train on my own and be able to do some of my things. It’s good to be with the team, but it’s kind of nice.”
Welker, who said he hasn’t been part of any organized workouts with Patriots teammates, added, “I think once people start losing paychecks, it’ll probably be a little bit different. But I’m not too concerned right now. Hopefully at some point we get a deal done.
“I just know as players ‘ I can speak for myself ‘ I just want to play ball. Hopefully come fall, that’s what we’re doing.”
Douglass (OK) High, the host of Welker’s camp of 180 kids, has recently received a pair of grants from Welker’s foundation, which also recently raised more than $300,000 to help at-risk children.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- WR Chris Harper Released by Patriots
- Brady Comments on Officiating During Broncos Loss
- Buzz: Patriots Hopeful Gronk, Amendola Will Play vs. Eagles
- Chandler's Updated Fantasy Outlook After Gronkowski's Injury
- Full Game Grades for Pats vs. Broncos
- Despite First Loss, Pats Still in Driver's Seat for AFC's No. 1 Seed
- Pats' Super Bowl Hopes May Hinge on Gronk's Status