Welcome to what promises to be a wild day for the NFL
|04.28.11 at 10:29 am ET|
Welcome to what promises to be a very interesting day in the world of professional football.
There is, of course, the first round of the draft, scheduled to kick off at 8 p.m. The Patriots hold two picks this evening, the No. 17 and No. 28 selections overall. There’s no shortage of opinions as to what New England is going to do with those two picks ‘ for what it’s worth, I believe we are going to see the Patriots use them both, with an eye toward dealing the 33rd overall selection (the first of the second round) sometime either Thursday night or Friday, when rounds two and three take place. (In the latest WEEI.com mock draft put together by our man DJ Bean, the Patriots take Cal’s Cameron Jordan at No. 17 and Miami’s Brandon Harris at No. 28)
In addition, the NFL is waiting for a decision from the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeal in St. Louis on the matter of the lockout. Late Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson denied a request for a stay ‘ as a result, the owners appealed the ruling to the Eighth Circuit Court, which could rule on the matter as early as Thursday. If the temporary stay request from the owners is denied, the NFL could return to business immediately and start the new year, which could include the beginning of free agency and the resumption of usual league activities. If the temporary stay is granted, NFL business would likely remain closed while the appeal process proceeds.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...