Bill Belichick: Ryan Mallett ‘definitely a football guy’
|04.29.11 at 10:47 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ Shortly after the Patriots selected controversial quarterback Ryan Mallett in the third round of the NFL draft Friday night, New England coach Bill Belichick talked about the acquisition of the former Arkansas quarterback, a player many believed was a first-round talent who slipped down the draft board because of character questions.
‘We just felt like he was a good player. He’s won everywhere he’s been ‘ high school, college,’ Belichick said. ‘[He] did a good job at Michigan. They came in and changed offenses. That was definitely beyond his control. I think he’s been a successful, productive quarterback all way through his career, high school, college.’
Mallett met with the Patriots during the pre-draft process, and Belichick said he came away feeling that the quarterback was ‘an impressive guy to talk to.’
‘He’s definitely a football guy. He’s a great kid to talk to. He’s very into football. You can’t wear him out ‘ as long as you want to talk about it, he’ll be there. However many hours it is, he’s ready to go watch the next film or go talk about a new technique or read or whatever.
‘His father is a football coach ‘ he’s grown up in a football family. I can definitely relate to that. You either get sick of it or you marry into it and love it. I think he’s very much of a football person. Both his parents are educators. He’s a kid that’s eager to learn and has a great thirst for knowledge for football and for his position ‘ there’s a lot going on there. I think he’ll certainly get an opportunity to receive a lot of knowledge about that position here.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...
- Tyler Gaffney Released by New England Patriots
- Tom Brady Issues Statement on Recovery of Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey