Bill Belichick: Ryan Mallett ‘definitely a football guy’
|04.29.11 at 10:47 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ Shortly after the Patriots selected controversial quarterback Ryan Mallett in the third round of the NFL draft Friday night, New England coach Bill Belichick talked about the acquisition of the former Arkansas quarterback, a player many believed was a first-round talent who slipped down the draft board because of character questions.
‘We just felt like he was a good player. He’s won everywhere he’s been ‘ high school, college,’ Belichick said. ‘[He] did a good job at Michigan. They came in and changed offenses. That was definitely beyond his control. I think he’s been a successful, productive quarterback all way through his career, high school, college.’
Mallett met with the Patriots during the pre-draft process, and Belichick said he came away feeling that the quarterback was ‘an impressive guy to talk to.’
‘He’s definitely a football guy. He’s a great kid to talk to. He’s very into football. You can’t wear him out ‘ as long as you want to talk about it, he’ll be there. However many hours it is, he’s ready to go watch the next film or go talk about a new technique or read or whatever.
‘His father is a football coach ‘ he’s grown up in a football family. I can definitely relate to that. You either get sick of it or you marry into it and love it. I think he’s very much of a football person. Both his parents are educators. He’s a kid that’s eager to learn and has a great thirst for knowledge for football and for his position ‘ there’s a lot going on there. I think he’ll certainly get an opportunity to receive a lot of knowledge about that position here.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know