Patriots take running back Shane Vereen at No. 56 overall
|04.29.11 at 8:07 pm ET|
The Patriots took Cal running back Shane Vereen with the 56th pick in the NFL draft on Friday night.
A 5-foot-10, 204-pounder, Vereen was a second team All-Pac-10 pick as a senior. A three-down back, the 21-year-old Vereen brings a versatility to the backfield with skills as a runner and a pass catcher. (He also has experience as a return man.) As a collegian, the speedy Vereen posted 1,667 career rushing yards and scored 16 touchdowns on the ground in 325 carries for an impressive average of 5.1 yards per rush. In all, he has totaled 2,693 career all-purpose yards, adding 465 receiving yards and three TDs on 52 catches and 551 kick return yards on 24 returns.
The Patriots have one more second-round pick at No. 60 overall, as well as two third-round selections.
Here’s some video of Vereen at Cal:
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick