Patriots take Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling at No. 33 overall
|04.29.11 at 6:17 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling was taken with the first pick of the second round (No. 33 overall) by the Patriots in Friday night’s NFL draft.
Dowling is a 6-foot-2, 200-pound corner out of Virginia who struggled with injury over the course of his career, but was a two-time second-team All-ACC selection. Dowling has his best year as a junior, when he recorded three interceptions, eight pass breakups and 58 tackles. In all, he registered eight interceptions in his collegiate career. Dowling started 25 of 40 games at right corner for Virgina, recording 160 tackles (including 115 solos) with six sacks and 7.5 tackels for loss of 24 yards. In addition, he became the 11th player in school history to lead the team in interceptions in consecutive seasons,and in 2007, he became the first true freshman to lead the Cavs in interceptions.
His strength early, however, may be as a special teamer ‘ he had a team-high 21 special teams tackles as a true freshman at UVA. The Patriots had success last season with Devin McCourty, another corner who made his mark on special teams, and New England would love to duplicate the success they had with McCourty.
New England has two other picks in the second round, the 56th and 60th, and two in the third.
Here’s some video of Dowling in action:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...