Patriots take Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling at No. 33 overall
|04.29.11 at 6:17 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling was taken with the first pick of the second round (No. 33 overall) by the Patriots in Friday night’s NFL draft.
Dowling is a 6-foot-2, 200-pound corner out of Virginia who struggled with injury over the course of his career, but was a two-time second-team All-ACC selection. Dowling has his best year as a junior, when he recorded three interceptions, eight pass breakups and 58 tackles. In all, he registered eight interceptions in his collegiate career. Dowling started 25 of 40 games at right corner for Virgina, recording 160 tackles (including 115 solos) with six sacks and 7.5 tackels for loss of 24 yards. In addition, he became the 11th player in school history to lead the team in interceptions in consecutive seasons,and in 2007, he became the first true freshman to lead the Cavs in interceptions.
His strength early, however, may be as a special teamer ‘ he had a team-high 21 special teams tackles as a true freshman at UVA. The Patriots had success last season with Devin McCourty, another corner who made his mark on special teams, and New England would love to duplicate the success they had with McCourty.
New England has two other picks in the second round, the 56th and 60th, and two in the third.
Here’s some video of Dowling in action:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Biggest Takeaways from Patriots' Week 12 Loss
- WR Chris Harper Released by Patriots
- Brady Comments on Officiating During Broncos Loss
- Buzz: Patriots Hopeful Gronk, Amendola Will Play vs. Eagles
- Chandler's Updated Fantasy Outlook After Gronkowski's Injury
- Full Game Grades for Pats vs. Broncos
- Despite First Loss, Pats Still in Driver's Seat for AFC's No. 1 Seed