Marshall TE Lee Smith is picked by Patriots at No. 159 overall
|04.30.11 at 3:16 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots selected tight end Lee Smith out of Marshall with the 159th overall pick of the NFL draft on Saturday.
Smith is a 6-foot-6, 266-pounder who finished his senior season with the Thundering Herd with a career-best 38 catches for 358 yards and three touchdowns. He started his collegiate career at the University of Tennessee, but was kicked off the team after a DUI. He transferred to Marshall, and finished his college career with 75 catches for 791 yards and three touchdowns.
His father, Daryle, played offensive line at Tennessee and spent six seasons in the NFL playing for the Cowboys, Browns and Eagles before spending four more seasons in the CFL.
Here’s some video of Smith as a collegian:
- Halftime: Patriots Struggle Again in 1st Half, Trail Browns 6-0
- Week 14 Game Thread: Patriots vs. Browns
- Patriots vs. Browns: Thompkins, Hoomanawanui Both Inactive
- Belichick on Ridley, Faulk, and Ozzie Newsome
- The Best Around
- New England Patriots Links 12/06/13 - Sunday Spotlight Will Have Pats'...
- Alfonzo Dennard's Sentence Extended