Detailing Malcolm Williams’ amazing journey from DFW to the Patriots
|05.05.11 at 12:26 pm ET|
Great story here on new Patriots defensive back Malcolm Williams, who was taken by New England in the seventh round last weekend out of TCU. Williams, who confessed to the media on the conference call shortly after the selection was made that he “wasn’t expecting to get drafted,” told the TCU Daily Skiff he’s “living in a dream right now,” and still can’t quite comprehend that New England called his name.
Williams’ journey to Foxboro is perhaps the unlikeliest draft story of the year for the Patriots. Out of high school, he worked at the DFW Airport for six months before landing at Trinity Valley Community College prior to transferring to Texas Christian. While at TCU, he spent most of his career sitting behind cornerback Jason Teague (who was second-team All-Mountain West selection), and as a result, was pretty much limited to special teams play over the course of his career with the Horned Frogs.
For obvious reasons, the 5-foot-11, 200-pound Williams wasn’t invited to the combine, and realized that if he was going to catch the eye of an NFL team, he was going to have to knock it out of the park at TCU’s Pro Day. That’s what he did, pressing 16 reps of 225 pounds and jumping a 42-inch vertical. The kicker? A 4.4 in the 40-yard dash. That put him on the radar with NFL scouts, and the Patriots made the move at No. 219 overall last Sunday.
Even though Williams is taken aback at what has happened, TCU coach Gary Patterson isn’t shocked.
“He’s an unbelievable athlete,” Patterson said. “He just had to play behind a great corner in Jason Teague. He, more than anybody, epitomizes what we said this place is all about.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...