Detailing Malcolm Williams’ amazing journey from DFW to the Patriots
|05.05.11 at 12:26 pm ET|
Great story here on new Patriots defensive back Malcolm Williams, who was taken by New England in the seventh round last weekend out of TCU. Williams, who confessed to the media on the conference call shortly after the selection was made that he “wasn’t expecting to get drafted,” told the TCU Daily Skiff he’s “living in a dream right now,” and still can’t quite comprehend that New England called his name.
Williams’ journey to Foxboro is perhaps the unlikeliest draft story of the year for the Patriots. Out of high school, he worked at the DFW Airport for six months before landing at Trinity Valley Community College prior to transferring to Texas Christian. While at TCU, he spent most of his career sitting behind cornerback Jason Teague (who was second-team All-Mountain West selection), and as a result, was pretty much limited to special teams play over the course of his career with the Horned Frogs.
For obvious reasons, the 5-foot-11, 200-pound Williams wasn’t invited to the combine, and realized that if he was going to catch the eye of an NFL team, he was going to have to knock it out of the park at TCU’s Pro Day. That’s what he did, pressing 16 reps of 225 pounds and jumping a 42-inch vertical. The kicker? A 4.4 in the 40-yard dash. That put him on the radar with NFL scouts, and the Patriots made the move at No. 219 overall last Sunday.
Even though Williams is taken aback at what has happened, TCU coach Gary Patterson isn’t shocked.
“He’s an unbelievable athlete,” Patterson said. “He just had to play behind a great corner in Jason Teague. He, more than anybody, epitomizes what we said this place is all about.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...