Reid: New Patriots’ defensive back Ras-I Dowling has great leadership skills
|05.05.11 at 3:26 pm ET|
Spent some quality time recently with Virginia defensive coordinator Jim Reid talking about new Patriots defensive back Ras-I Dowling ‘ check out that story here ‘ and one of the aspects of Dowling’s history I did not include in the story involves his leadership skills. As has been discussed previously, the Patriots have drafted an awful lot of college captains the last two years (11, by my count), and Reid said Dowling ‘ who was a captain last year at UVA ‘ should fit right in when it comes to his turn to be a leader in Foxboro.
“My observations and stories about Ras-I were not gained from sitting in my office, but from watching him compete on the field and watching how he handled the team from a leadership standpoint,” Reid said of Dowling, who was taken 33rd overall by the Patriots last weekend. “There was great respect for him on that team. If the team needed to do an extra sprint, he was the one who said it had to happen. Players would also talk about it in the summer programs when they were no coaches around. If he didn’t feel like the players had done something right, he was the one who would suggest they should do it again.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick