Rex Ryan: Bill Belichick ‘best coach that I’ve ever seen’
|05.06.11 at 9:46 am ET|
Jets coach Rex Ryan continues his media tour to promote his new book, “Play Like You Mean It,” and the Patriots-Jets rivalry continues to be a popular topic. The New York Post reports that during a taping of the YES Network show “CenterStage” on Thursday, Ryan talked about his off-field strategy leading up to the divisional playoff victory over the Patriots.
Ryan explained that he wanted to get the discussion away from the team’s previous regular-season meeting, a 45-3 Patriots victory, and that’s why he made comments that the game was about him and Bill Belichick.
“That whole week, I never wanted it to be about that 45-3 game,” Ryan said. “And I knew if I didn’t do something, [the media] would be talking about it with our players, and I never wanted that negative thought to creep into their minds.
“There certainly was a method behind it, and I told [Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum] after we win the game, I was going to say that I was wrong, that it had nothing to do with me and Belichick. Because if it did, Belichick would win, because he’s that kind of coach.”
As he has in previous interviews, Ryan continued to heap praise upon Belichick.
“I don’t think he is [great], I know he is,” Ryan said. “He’s the best coach that I’ve ever seen. I know the way he motivates his team, all these types of things. You don’t luck into three Super Bowls, and I don’t know how many he’s had as an assistant coach. This guy is a phenomenal coach.”
The interview is scheduled to air next Friday, following the network’s coverage of the Red Sox-Yankees game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19