Report: BC’s Mark Herzlich will forgo UFL for shot at NFL
|05.09.11 at 1:41 pm ET|
Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich will bypass an opportunity to play in the United Football League for a chance to sign as an undrafted free agent in the NFL. According to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, Herzlich tweeted him on Sunday that he would not join the UFL’s Omaha Nighthawks (who took him 51st overall in the UFL draft last week), but instead take his chances with the NFL and hope that the lockout ends sooner rather than later.
Herzlich, the 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year, was not selected in last month’s NFL draft. Despite that, his story remains an inspiration to many, as he overcame Ewing’s sarcoma in his left leg ‘ he had a titanium rod placed in the leg ‘ and returned to play for BC in 2010. However, by his own admission, he wasn’t the same player he was before he was forced to sit out a year, which likely caused the draft weekend slide.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Sheard Finally Gives Patriots Depth at OLB
- Week 4 Proves Why Pats Are Still in Driver's Seat
- Patriots Favored over Cowboys in Marquee Matchup
- Pros, Cons of Patriots' Offensive Line Shuffling
- What's the Secret to Lewis' Sudden Stardom?
- Blount and Lewis Are Perfect 1-2 Punch in Pats Backfield
- Adjustments Patriots Must Make After Bye Week