Drew Bledsoe talks about the Patriots decision to draft Ryan Mallett: ‘A wise move on their part’
|05.16.11 at 6:46 pm ET|
During his conference call with the media Monday afternoon to discuss his induction into the Patriots Hall of Fame, I asked quarterback Drew Bledsoe what he thought of New England’s decision to draft Ryan Mallett. Mallett is a big, strong-armed signal-caller who has drawn some comparisons to Bledsoe.
‘I watched him a little bit in college ‘ he’s a big, strong-armed guy,’ Bledsoe said of Mallett, who was taken in the third round by the Patriots. ‘I’ve never met him, don’t know much about him, but it sounds like he throws it pretty good. I’ve watched him play a little bit. We’ll see how that plays out for them. But he seems to check the boxes, at least physically.’
As for the decision to draft someone like Mallett while you still have someone like Tom Brady on your roster, Bledsoe said you always need a good backup.
‘I think everybody recognizes that having a good backup quarterback is essential in this day and age. Guys are still getting bigger, faster and stronger and to rely on one guy to fill that very important position is a risky proposition,’ said Bledsoe. ‘I think that was probably a wise move on their part. They saw value there in a talented guy who can come in and learn behind Tommy for years to come and then if he’s called into service ‘ hopefully that never happens ‘ but if he is called into service, having some talent and learning behind one of the best in the game should serve them well if that ever happens.
‘That backup quarterback position is never important until it becomes the most important thing. That was probably a wise selection on their part to have a quality talent behind Tommy if he ever does get injured.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...