Forbes: Bill Belichick now the highest-paid pro coach
|05.18.11 at 3:34 pm ET|
The magazine estimates Belichick takes home an annual salary of $7.5 million ‘ he just edges out Seattle’s Pete Carroll and Washington’s Mike Shanahan, both of whom make an estimated $7 million annually, according to Forbes. (Doc Rivers also just joined the $7 million club ‘ he inked a new deal with the Celtics earlier this week.)
With the retirement of Jackson (who made a reported $10.3 million last year), Forbes writes: “Little surprise, then, that Belichick now takes home more money than any coach in the four major North American sports leagues–some $7.5 million a year, we estimate. The Patriots have never publicly confirmed Belichick’s contract details, but industry pundits have little doubt that the long-term extension he signed in 2007 is north of the roughly $7 million annually that Mike Holmgren was getting from the Seattle Seahawks.”
The rest of the Top 10 is dominated by NFL coaches: Chicago’s Lovie Smith makes $6 million, Arizona’s Ken Whisenhunt makes $5.75 million, New York’s Tom Coughlin makes $5.25 million and Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin checks in with at $5 million annually.
The last time we heard Belichick talk about his deal was back in 2007, when it was reported the coach and franchise agreed to an extension that would keep him with the franchise through at least the 2013 season, according to ESPN.
‘I don’t talk about contracts, but I would say I like working here, I like the organization ‘ ownership, coaches, scouts, players, and the guys I work with,’ he said in July 2007. ‘I appreciate the opportunity to work here, and it’s a good situation. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...