Gary Guyton on Jerod Mayo making the NFL Network’s Top 100 list: ‘He’s the No. 1 player in my eyes’
|05.18.11 at 1:04 pm ET|
According to Peter King of SI.com, Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo will check in at No. 62 in this week’s edition of NFL Network’s countdown of the Top 100 players currently in the NFL. Mayo is the first New England player on the list, which was compiled through player-only votes.
The honor is hardly a surprise ‘ Mayo is considered one of the best young linebackers in the league. As a first-round pick in 2008, he was the Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year, and this past season, he led the NFL with 193 tackles, the most for a Patriot since Steve Nelson finished with 207 in 1984.
Mayo’s pal Gary Guyton was happy to hear his teammate made the list.
“The only thing I know is that Jerod’s a great player. To me, he’s the No. 1 player in my eyes,” Guyton said of Mayo. “He does great things. He’s a student of the game. I wish and I pray nothing but the best for him. He’s a good player and a good guy and a good person.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself