Wes Welker says he’s ‘not worried’ about his contract situation
|05.21.11 at 2:00 pm ET|
PEABODY ‘ Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker is entering the final year of a five-year, $17 million deal he signed with New England in 2007. But when he was asked about his contract situation on Saturday, he didn’t sound too concerned about his future.
‘I’m really not worried about it at all,” he said when he was asked if he wanted to see a resolution to an uncertain contract situation. “Either way ‘ before, after, during [the season]. It really doesn’t matter. I enjoy playing ball. Whenever it comes, it comes. It’s probably the last thing on my mind. I just want to go out and play some winning football for my team and get out there and play.’
In the wake of the NFL lockout, Welker doesn’t sound all the excited about the idea of talking about money.
“Being players and growing up and not having much and the fact that we’re squabbling about money is kind of ridiculous to me,” he said. “I came into this league … I probably made more money than I thought I ever would in a lifetime. Everything from here is just icing on the cake. Hopefully, we get something fair done and we get to a point where we can play football.”
After he spent all of last offseason rehabbing an injured knee and shoulder, Welker is putting that in the rearview and looking forward.
“It was definitely a tough year, and I’m excited about this year,” he said of the 2010 season. “I’m excited about the training I’ve been able to get in and all the running and pounding I’ve been able to do and come out of it just fine. I’m just real excited about where I’m at right now and where I’m heading in the future.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return