Linebacker Jerod Mayo checks in at No. 62 in NFL Network’s ‘Top 100′
|05.22.11 at 9:35 pm ET|
Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo was slotted at No. 62 Sunday night in the NFL Network’s list of Top 100 players, a list put together through a players-only vote. Mayo was presented by New England coach Bill Belichick, who praised Mayo as a ‘football guy.’
‘He handles the whole front, the defensive line, the linebackers, stunts, adjustments ‘ and in a lot of the cases, he controls the entire defense,’ Belichick said. ‘Players elected him captain his second year. I think that speaks to his leadership and the respect that he has on this team.’
Belichick was asked if one particular play stood out when it came to Mayo, the 2008 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year who has led the Patriots in tackles the last three seasons.
‘When he leads the league in tackles like he did last year, it’s hard to single out one,’ Belichick said of Mayo, the first member of the Patriots to be included in the Top 100. ‘But I think that some of the plays that he’s made when he chases guys down across the field, quarterback’s scrambling in the pocket. The sack he made last year, [Ryan] Fitzpatrick against Buffalo. His range and his tackling ability are really outstanding.
‘Although he’s an emotional player, he’s not a very demonstrative player. He does his job, he plays hard, and I think his teammates rally around that because he does make a lot of positive plays for our football team.’
Mayo’s teammate and BFF Gary Guyton told me he’s happy his pal made the list.
‘The only thing I know is that Jerod’s a great player. To me, he’s the No. 1 player in my eyes,’ Guyton said of Mayo. ‘He does great things. He’s a student of the game. I wish and I pray nothing but the best for him. He’s a good player and a good guy and a good person.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...