Logan Mankins said he’s already spoken with first-round pick Nate Solder
|05.23.11 at 2:30 pm ET|
Speaking before Joe Andruzzi‘s Charity Golf Tournament at TPC Boston on Monday afternoon, Mankins said he’s all for helping out a teammate, especially one who is caught up in the throes of the lockout and hasn’t had a chance to get into the system yet.
“Yeah, I have spoken to Nate. He seems like a great guy. I gave him a little advice. Tried to help him out the best you can in the situation that we’re in right now,” Mankins said of Solder, a left tackle who was selected in the first round of last month’s draft by New England. “I’m more than willing to help any young guy who needs anything. Look ‘ he’s in a tough situation right now. He doesn’t know what’s going on. he has no coaches to talk to. He’s just trying to make it in this league, and if I can help him, I will.”
As a rookie, Mankins recalled just how beneficial the spring practice sessions ‘ the organized team activities, the workouts and the rest ‘ were for him before getting into training camp. He doesn’t envy this group of rookies, who won’t have that luxury because of the lockout.
“Oh, they’re going to be way behind,” Mankins said. “I remember when I was a rookie, I started Day One and I still felt like I didn’t know everything, and I was there the whole offseason, the whole training camp. Everything. So they’re going to be way behind, and I guess you’ll see the guys who can pick it up pretty fast.”
As for his future with the team, Mankins smiled when he was asked about the possibility of a long-term deal with the Patriots.
“Shoot ‘ the NFL and the players can’t even agree on anything right now,” he said. “We’ll worry about that once they can strike a deal.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...