New Patriots running back Shane Vereen says he’s moved back home with his parents to save during the lockout
|05.24.11 at 3:44 pm ET|
The new reality of the NFL lockout? Rookies living at home with Mom and Dad while they wait for a conclusion to the labor battle.
According to this interview with The Big Lead, Patriots second-round draft pick Shane Vereen ‘ who was taken 56th overall in the draft last month by New England ‘ has moved back in with his parents, and added he’s “not trying to spend any money until I get it.”
‘There’s one way I’m staying afloat right now, and that’s living at home,’ Vereen said at the NFL Rookie Premiere in Los Angeles Friday. ‘Yes I am living at home, with moms and dad. It’s kind of weird coming back home from college. I really don’t like it that much. If we last any longer, I’m going to have to do something about it. I try to stay out of the house as much as possible, but I’m not trying to spend any money until I get it.’
The same story also says quarterback Blaine Gabbert (the 10th overall pick of the Jaguars) has moved back home as well, while Ravens rookie receiver Torrey Smith, the 58th pick, is living at his girlfriend’s place near the University of Maryland, where he played college football.
If Vereen is waiting for his rookie contract to kick in, he may be living at home longer than he anticipated ‘ even if there was no lockout, history tells us that most rookie deals in New England aren’t consummated for another month or so. (He should be in for a nice payday once things get hammered out. Last year, the Patriots took linebacker Jermaine Cunningham 53rd overall, and he received a four-year, $3.11 million deal with a $1.32 million signing bonus.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...