Wes Welker listed as No. 50 on NFL Network’s list of ‘Top 100′
|06.06.11 at 12:24 am ET|
Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker checked in at No. 50 on the list of the NFL’s “Top 100″ Sunday night, a feature running on the NFL Network that counts down the best players in the league as voted on by the players. Presenting Welker was Bills head coach Chan Gailey. Here are a few highlights of Gailey’s presentation (click here for the complete piece):
‘A lot of people think he’s just an underneath threat, but he gets it in so many different ways. He can get it on the quick screen. Short in-routes. Short out-routes. Double juke route. He can get down the field in the seam. People don’t probably give Wes enough credit for his down-the-field stuff because he is so known for the underneath.’
‘He has this great understanding of the game and of route-running and where the holes are in the defense, and how to get a guy off-balance and create just enough opening for Tom [Brady] to get him the ball. That little motion stuff he does allows him to set a guy up and keep a guy off balance. If he gets a half-step, that’s all he needs.’
‘Yards after the catch are probably one of the most underappreciated stats in the NFL ‘ he breaks a tackle, runs through a tackle, makes somebody miss. Sometimes you say ‘How did he outrun that guy to the corner after he caught the ball?’ But he does. You don’t know how he did it, but he did.
‘Now with the development of Wes, and what he’s done in the short area ‘ inside, especially third down ‘ he’s the guy that everybody compares the next guy to. Can he be the next Wes Welker?’
Welker is the second Patriots player to a part of the countdown thus far ‘ linebacker Jerod Mayo came in at No. 62.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason