Despite recent workouts, Willie McGinest says he’s not coming back as a player … but dropped a major hint for the Patriots
|06.11.11 at 11:01 pm ET|
Willie McGinest is a busy guy these days.
The former Patriots linebacker was tutoring some players before the draft, a group that included Fresno State linebacker Chris Carter. He’s involved in several businesses out West. And in addition to his regular work as an analyst on “Total Access” on the NFL Network, he also recently took part in some workouts with the Detroit Lions, workouts that raised the eyebrows of some around the league when he busted out with this statement:
“We’re going to see if I get offered a contract now,” the 39-year-old McGinest told the Detroit Free Press. “After I send this tape out to a few teams, we’re going to see.
“Thank God I was in shape and I was able to do all the stuff,” he added. “It was a different type of workout, though. I’ve never experienced something like this with the Art of Strength. It was less football work, but it was a lot of core conditioning, getting the heart rate up. And talking to (trainer Mike Knight), this is one of those workouts they would implement like one or two days a week out of the other regular stuff you do as a changeup, which was good for me.”
Turns out McGinest isn’t making a return to the game, at least not as a player. On Saturday, McGinest issued the following statement through his publicist, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press which can be seen here and here: ‘Even though I looked as good as I did, this number 55 has been retired for three years and plans to stay retired. The only thing that will bring me back is a one day contract with New England to retire as a Patriot.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction