Despite recent workouts, Willie McGinest says he’s not coming back as a player … but dropped a major hint for the Patriots
|06.11.11 at 11:01 pm ET|
Willie McGinest is a busy guy these days.
The former Patriots linebacker was tutoring some players before the draft, a group that included Fresno State linebacker Chris Carter. He’s involved in several businesses out West. And in addition to his regular work as an analyst on “Total Access” on the NFL Network, he also recently took part in some workouts with the Detroit Lions, workouts that raised the eyebrows of some around the league when he busted out with this statement:
“We’re going to see if I get offered a contract now,” the 39-year-old McGinest told the Detroit Free Press. “After I send this tape out to a few teams, we’re going to see.
“Thank God I was in shape and I was able to do all the stuff,” he added. “It was a different type of workout, though. I’ve never experienced something like this with the Art of Strength. It was less football work, but it was a lot of core conditioning, getting the heart rate up. And talking to (trainer Mike Knight), this is one of those workouts they would implement like one or two days a week out of the other regular stuff you do as a changeup, which was good for me.”
Turns out McGinest isn’t making a return to the game, at least not as a player. On Saturday, McGinest issued the following statement through his publicist, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press which can be seen here and here: ‘Even though I looked as good as I did, this number 55 has been retired for three years and plans to stay retired. The only thing that will bring me back is a one day contract with New England to retire as a Patriot.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19