Bill Belichick: ‘Do your job’ works in business as well as football
|06.13.11 at 10:27 am ET|
Do your job. It’s the overriding philosophy for Bill Belichick and the Patriots, and one the New England coach brought with him when he recently addressed a group of financial advisors at the Pershing INSITE conference in Hollywood, Fla.
‘In business things change quickly ‘ in your profession and in ours,’ said Belichick. ‘There are always new people and new environments.’ To stay competitive, Belichick said that everyone must do their part: ‘We need to all do our job,” he added.
Belichick this means four things: being prepared, working hard, paying attention to the details and putting the team first. It also means playing to your strengths and overcoming weaknesses. Belichick used Tom Brady and BenJarvus Green-Ellis as examples of two players who have overcome obstacles to be successful.
‘They still have shortcomings, but they play to their strengths,” Belichick said. “Their deficiencies don’t get spotlighted.’
Belichick also talked about his evolution as a coach, what makes a good leader (he singled out Troy Brown, saying the wide receiver was great when it came to leading by example), his favorite memories as a coach and the importance of loving what you do, saying he looks at punts when he wakes up at 5 a.m.
‘I know it is a little screwed up. I don’t feel like I am working,” he said. “If you are doing something you love, you will be motivated to do it, even when the conditions are not great.’
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions