Bill Belichick: ‘Do your job’ works in business as well as football
|06.13.11 at 10:27 am ET|
Do your job. It’s the overriding philosophy for Bill Belichick and the Patriots, and one the New England coach brought with him when he recently addressed a group of financial advisors at the Pershing INSITE conference in Hollywood, Fla.
‘In business things change quickly ‘ in your profession and in ours,’ said Belichick. ‘There are always new people and new environments.’ To stay competitive, Belichick said that everyone must do their part: ‘We need to all do our job,” he added.
Belichick this means four things: being prepared, working hard, paying attention to the details and putting the team first. It also means playing to your strengths and overcoming weaknesses. Belichick used Tom Brady and BenJarvus Green-Ellis as examples of two players who have overcome obstacles to be successful.
‘They still have shortcomings, but they play to their strengths,” Belichick said. “Their deficiencies don’t get spotlighted.’
Belichick also talked about his evolution as a coach, what makes a good leader (he singled out Troy Brown, saying the wide receiver was great when it came to leading by example), his favorite memories as a coach and the importance of loving what you do, saying he looks at punts when he wakes up at 5 a.m.
‘I know it is a little screwed up. I don’t feel like I am working,” he said. “If you are doing something you love, you will be motivated to do it, even when the conditions are not great.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...