Bill Belichick spends a day with the 1986 Giants and talks about how that team prepared him to be a head coach
|06.13.11 at 1:33 pm ET|
Patriots coach Bill Belichick attended the 25th anniversary of the 1986 Super Bowl Champion New York Giants on Sunday, connecting with more than 50 former players and fellow coaches, including Bill Parcells. While speaking with ESPN, Belichick took time to reflect about that team.
‘It was awesome, 25 years ‘¦ special group,’ Belichick told reporters. ‘Unselfish, it was a very competitive group, they loved to practice, they played hard. We had a lot of great players and they fed off each other.
‘Honestly, I think I learned something from every guy,’ he added. ‘Our defense understood the team concept. The corners knew what the linebackers were doing. The linebackers knew what the nose guard was doing. The nose guard knew it. I learned from Jim Burt, George Martin, Perry (Williams), Lawrence (Taylor), Pepper (Johnson), Carl (Banks), Mark Collins ‘¦ all those guys, I learned a lot from all those players.’
He also talked about how his experience with the Giants would prepare him to serve as the coach of the Patriots
‘It definitely helps to be in a big game and to have won them,’ Belichick said. ‘You learn something every day, every game. Each year is a learning year, it is a long process. But having done it, then when you go, like to go to the Super Bowl in ‘01, having been there on a short week like we did, that was a short week, we went on a short week after the San Francisco game, you are not going in there blind. You know what you are dealing with. I think that helps. And if you can convey that confidence to everybody else, look, I’ve been there, I know what we need to do, then maybe that comforts them a little bit. So there certainly is a lot of benefit to it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...