Pro Football Focus examines missed tackles for linebackers, and comes up with some interesting numbers
|06.22.11 at 12:31 pm ET|
This offseason, we’ve already cited some of the stats coming from our friends at Pro Football Focus, but they’ve got another interesting statistical breakdown ‘ tackling prowess at the linebacker spot. PFF examines missed tackles (breaking them into two categories, outside linebackers in a 3-4 scheme and everyone else), and finds a couple of the Patriots near the top of the list when it comes to fewest missed tackles.
On top of the list, New England rookie Brandon Spikes was the only linebacker with more than 25 tackle attempts who didn’t miss a single tackle ‘ he ended up his rookie season with zero misses in 52 tackle attempts. (PFF’s Sam Monson wrote: “We were high on the rookie season of the Patriots’ Brandon Spikes even before this. He was a force against the run all season long, coming downhill and blowing up run plays in the backfield, as well as taking on blockers and generally disrupting plays.”)
And while he wasn’t perfect like Spikes, Jerod Mayo was perhaps even more impressive than his young teammate, missing just three times in 145 attempts. His ratio of one miss every 48.33 attempts was good enough to finish third overall.
On the other end of the spectrum, the stats weren’t as kind to a pair of Patriots’ outside linebackers, who were in the bottom 10 when it came to ranking the 3-4 OLB’s. Rob Ninkovich had six misses in 52 tackles attempts, which amounted to one miss every 8.67 tackle attempts. In addition, Tully Banta-Cain missed five tackles on 49 attempts for a ratio of one miss for every 9.8 tackle attempts.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position-by-Position Breakdown of New England Patriots' Top Combine...
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible