Bruschi: Jerod Mayo will be ‘best linebacker in the game’ in two years
|06.27.11 at 1:19 pm ET|
NORTON ‘ Former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi said Monday that former teammate Jerod Mayo will be the “best linebacker in the game within two years.” Speaking before his annual golf tournament at TPC Boston, Bruschi said the “sky is the limit” for the Tennessee product.
“He’s done things there in his short career with the Patriots that I wasn’t able to do until my eighth or ninth year or something like that. That’s how far along he is. That’s how good he is,” Bruschi said of the 6-foot-1, 245-pound Mayo. “I never had the ability that he has ‘ how fast he is, how big he is and strong. The sky is the limit for him. I truly see him being the best linebacker in the game within two years. I think that’s how good he is.
“No matter what defensive scheme they run,” he added. “They’ll run some 3-4. They’ll run some 4-3 looks. And he can do it on a down-to-down basis. It’s very difficult to do, especially in that system ‘ I know. The sky is the limit for him.”
The 25-year-old Mayo, who is heading into his fourth season with the Patriots, has finished with more than 100 tackles in all three seasons in New England. The 2008 Defensive Rookie of the Year, this past season he was a Pro Bowler and named an All-Pro.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Feature Formidable 3-Man Pass-Rush Rotation
- Patriots File Amicus Brief Supporting Brady's Deflategate Suspension...
- Deep Battle Brewing for Roster Spots at WR for Patriots
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?