Bruschi: Jerod Mayo will be ‘best linebacker in the game’ in two years
|06.27.11 at 1:19 pm ET|
NORTON ‘ Former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi said Monday that former teammate Jerod Mayo will be the “best linebacker in the game within two years.” Speaking before his annual golf tournament at TPC Boston, Bruschi said the “sky is the limit” for the Tennessee product.
“He’s done things there in his short career with the Patriots that I wasn’t able to do until my eighth or ninth year or something like that. That’s how far along he is. That’s how good he is,” Bruschi said of the 6-foot-1, 245-pound Mayo. “I never had the ability that he has ‘ how fast he is, how big he is and strong. The sky is the limit for him. I truly see him being the best linebacker in the game within two years. I think that’s how good he is.
“No matter what defensive scheme they run,” he added. “They’ll run some 3-4. They’ll run some 4-3 looks. And he can do it on a down-to-down basis. It’s very difficult to do, especially in that system ‘ I know. The sky is the limit for him.”
The 25-year-old Mayo, who is heading into his fourth season with the Patriots, has finished with more than 100 tackles in all three seasons in New England. The 2008 Defensive Rookie of the Year, this past season he was a Pro Bowler and named an All-Pro.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL