Bruschi: Jerod Mayo will be ‘best linebacker in the game’ in two years
|06.27.11 at 1:19 pm ET|
NORTON ‘ Former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi said Monday that former teammate Jerod Mayo will be the “best linebacker in the game within two years.” Speaking before his annual golf tournament at TPC Boston, Bruschi said the “sky is the limit” for the Tennessee product.
“He’s done things there in his short career with the Patriots that I wasn’t able to do until my eighth or ninth year or something like that. That’s how far along he is. That’s how good he is,” Bruschi said of the 6-foot-1, 245-pound Mayo. “I never had the ability that he has ‘ how fast he is, how big he is and strong. The sky is the limit for him. I truly see him being the best linebacker in the game within two years. I think that’s how good he is.
“No matter what defensive scheme they run,” he added. “They’ll run some 3-4. They’ll run some 4-3 looks. And he can do it on a down-to-down basis. It’s very difficult to do, especially in that system ‘ I know. The sky is the limit for him.”
The 25-year-old Mayo, who is heading into his fourth season with the Patriots, has finished with more than 100 tackles in all three seasons in New England. The 2008 Defensive Rookie of the Year, this past season he was a Pro Bowler and named an All-Pro.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England