Saints QB Drew Brees: ‘Very close to a settlement’
|07.13.11 at 12:50 pm ET|
Shortly after releasing a joint statement with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning calling on owners to accept the players’ latest proposal and end the lockout, Saints quarterback Drew Brees said in a radio interview that the two sides are closing in on a deal.
Speaking with XX Radio 1090 in San Diego, Brees said:”We’re very close to a settlement. We’re at that point in the negotiations where there’s just a few more details that need to be ironed out.”
Added Brees: “We’ve taken a significant setback in overall revenue in terms of what we’ve offered them compared to what we were making. I feel like there’s a fair deal there ‘ we all do ‘ and we think it’s time to step up and make a deal.”
Brees acknowledged that there is a push to get the deal done this week so that it can be approved at the July 21 owners meetings.
“Obviously, there’s a big sense of urgency, especially in the next week with the owners meetings on July 21,” he said. “I think we’re all optimistic and hoping we can finalize a deal for that time.”
Explaining why he, Brady and Manning released their statement, Brees said: “Yesterday we felt like there’s a fair deal on the table and we need to make sure everybody knows this and make sure the owners know this, because this season is just around the corner.”
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...