Saints QB Drew Brees: ‘Very close to a settlement’
|07.13.11 at 12:50 pm ET|
Shortly after releasing a joint statement with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning calling on owners to accept the players’ latest proposal and end the lockout, Saints quarterback Drew Brees said in a radio interview that the two sides are closing in on a deal.
Speaking with XX Radio 1090 in San Diego, Brees said:”We’re very close to a settlement. We’re at that point in the negotiations where there’s just a few more details that need to be ironed out.”
Added Brees: “We’ve taken a significant setback in overall revenue in terms of what we’ve offered them compared to what we were making. I feel like there’s a fair deal there ‘ we all do ‘ and we think it’s time to step up and make a deal.”
Brees acknowledged that there is a push to get the deal done this week so that it can be approved at the July 21 owners meetings.
“Obviously, there’s a big sense of urgency, especially in the next week with the owners meetings on July 21,” he said. “I think we’re all optimistic and hoping we can finalize a deal for that time.”
Explaining why he, Brady and Manning released their statement, Brees said: “Yesterday we felt like there’s a fair deal on the table and we need to make sure everybody knows this and make sure the owners know this, because this season is just around the corner.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video