Tributes pour in after Myra Kraft dies of cancer
|07.20.11 at 10:01 am ET|
The Patriots family received some devastating news Wednesday when cancer claimed the life of Myra Kraft, wife of Patriots owner Robert Kraft and president of the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation.
‘Words cannot express the deep sorrow that we feel in learning of the passing of Myra Hiatt Kraft,” the team said in a statement. “Myra passed away early this morning after a courageous battle with cancer. We are all heartbroken. The global philanthropic community and the New England Patriots family have suffered a great loss.’
Kraft, who was born and raised in Worcester, served on the boards of a number of charitable organizations, including Brigham and Women’s Hospital, the American Repertory Theatre, the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, and her alma mater, Brandeis University. In 1995, she became the first woman chair of the Boys & Girls Club of Boston, a post she held until 2002.
Tributes began to pour in on Twitter after the news of Kraft’s death was announced.
Patriots defensive lineman Vince Wilfork wrote that myra was a wonderful woman who my wife and I loved dearly. Wilfork also expressed frustration with not being able to contact Robert Kraft due to the work stoppage. F’n lockout I don’t even know how to get in touch with Mr kraft to offer my support and condolences, he tweeted, adding: a wonderful life lost that I probably wlda had the chance to see again if it wasn’t for f’n $$$ problems!! Luv ya Myra “momma”
Tweeted former Patriot Heath Evans: We have lost 1 of the greatest women I know & hands down the finest in all of sports w/the passing Mrs. Myra Kraft. God rest her soul!
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction