Mankins agent: We never sought $10 million in compensation
|07.21.11 at 4:01 pm ET|
Logan Mankins never made any monetary demands and is not holding up any potential settlement between the players and the owners, according to a statement made by his agent Frank Bauer to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.
Mankins, who was one of 10 plaintiffs in the Brady vs. NFL suit, was reportedly seeking $10 million or unrestricted free agency for agreeing to drop the lawsuit. However, Bauer told Mortensen that’s certainly not the case.
“I think it’s really unfair what has happened to Logan Mankins in media characterizations that he is making monetary demands or holding up a settlement. Logan Mankins is a young man who was encouraged and solicited into a lawsuit to help the union spearhead a new agreement. Logan’s main concern for entering into as a plaintiff was to see if he can become free and help other players have less restrictions. For people to say he has made monetary demands, he hasn’t made any such demand. We don’t know terms. We haven’t talked to [NFLPA attorney] Jeff Kessler. There has been no communication but it’s irresponsible to report Logan has made monetary demands.
“Are we disappointed there has been no communication? Hugely. He trusted the union and Kessler to fight for Logan Mankins and the other players.”
Mankins and San Diego wide receiver Vincent Jackson, two of the 10 plaintiffs in the suit, were denied unrestricted free agency during the 2010 uncapped season, and both sat out a sizable chunk of the season as a result. (Jackson and Mankins were among a group of players who have had to wait six years to reach unrestricted free agency because of previous rules.) Jackson tweeted earlier this week that he has, “made no demands, I wanna play ball like the rest of my peers!”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England