Patriots owner Robert Kraft: ‘I’d like to apologize to the fans’
|07.25.11 at 3:09 pm ET|
Here’s the complete transcript of the comments made by Patriots owner Robert Kraft at Monday’s press conference in Washington, D.C. that announced the end of the NFL lockout:
‘I’d like to apologize to the fans, that for the last five, six months we’ve been talking about the business of football, not what goes on on the field in each market. But the end result is we’ve been able to have an agreement that will allow this sport to flourish over the next decade. We’ve done that in a way that is unique among the major sports ‘ every team in our league, all 32, will be competitive. We’ve improved player safety and we’ve remembered the players who’ve played in the past.
‘I want to give a special compliment to Commissioner Goodell and De Smith, because the commissioner has to deal with 32 tough and demanding owners. He’s been able to keep that balance, but DeMaurice Smith has come in and he’s managing 1,900 players. A bunch of different professionals, it’s a new CBA with tricky language, and he was able to keep all those things going and come up with an agreement that he and Roger did together with their two teams.
‘Lastly, what kept me at the table the last four-and-a-half months was seeing the players who represented the player representatives, who represented the league’s players. They didn’t just look at the short-term interests of their own playing careers, but they looked long-term, especially Jeff Saturday and Domonique Foxworth. I was so impressed with them, that they acted as principals at the table, looking out what was good for the game.
‘I believe you’re going to see a very great NFL over the next decade and I hope we gave a little lesson to the people in Washington because the debt crisis is a lot easier to fix than this deal was. Thank you.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...
- Tyler Gaffney Released by New England Patriots
- Tom Brady Issues Statement on Recovery of Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey
- Video of Alleged Suspect Stealing Tom Brady's Super Bowl 51 Jersey Aired...