Patriots owner Robert Kraft: ‘I’d like to apologize to the fans’
|07.25.11 at 3:09 pm ET|
Here’s the complete transcript of the comments made by Patriots owner Robert Kraft at Monday’s press conference in Washington, D.C. that announced the end of the NFL lockout:
‘I’d like to apologize to the fans, that for the last five, six months we’ve been talking about the business of football, not what goes on on the field in each market. But the end result is we’ve been able to have an agreement that will allow this sport to flourish over the next decade. We’ve done that in a way that is unique among the major sports ‘ every team in our league, all 32, will be competitive. We’ve improved player safety and we’ve remembered the players who’ve played in the past.
‘I want to give a special compliment to Commissioner Goodell and De Smith, because the commissioner has to deal with 32 tough and demanding owners. He’s been able to keep that balance, but DeMaurice Smith has come in and he’s managing 1,900 players. A bunch of different professionals, it’s a new CBA with tricky language, and he was able to keep all those things going and come up with an agreement that he and Roger did together with their two teams.
‘Lastly, what kept me at the table the last four-and-a-half months was seeing the players who represented the player representatives, who represented the league’s players. They didn’t just look at the short-term interests of their own playing careers, but they looked long-term, especially Jeff Saturday and Domonique Foxworth. I was so impressed with them, that they acted as principals at the table, looking out what was good for the game.
‘I believe you’re going to see a very great NFL over the next decade and I hope we gave a little lesson to the people in Washington because the debt crisis is a lot easier to fix than this deal was. Thank you.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...