Mark Herzlich signs with Giants
|07.26.11 at 10:35 am ET|
Tweeted Herzlich: “Decision is made I will be a GIANT can’t wait to get to NYC. Thank you for everything.”
Herzlich was a solid NFL prospect after earning 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors, but was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma (a form of bone cancer) in 2009. Now with a titanium rod in his left leg, Herzlich is cancer-free. He returned to the field last season with 65 tackles. For his career, Herzlich had 314 tackles, seven forced fumbles and 11 interceptions.
In signing with the Giants, Herzlich joins a BC-friendly team. Head coach Tom Coughlin coached the Eagles from 1991-1993, while former BC guard Chris Snee has been a Giant since his selection in the second round of the 2004 draft.
Herzlich said on SportsCenter that being undrafted has motivated him to be a force at the next level.
Said Herzlich: “I do have a chip on my shoulder, and there’s really no other way to go about it.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots Star Danny Amendola's Injuries
- Why Collins Is Patriots' Most Important 2017 Free Agent
- Biggest Issues the Patriots Will Face in 2016 Season
- Super Bowl Odds: Patriots Betting Favorites Despite Brady Suspension
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty