Mark Herzlich signs with Giants
|07.26.11 at 10:35 am ET|
Tweeted Herzlich: “Decision is made I will be a GIANT can’t wait to get to NYC. Thank you for everything.”
Herzlich was a solid NFL prospect after earning 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors, but was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma (a form of bone cancer) in 2009. Now with a titanium rod in his left leg, Herzlich is cancer-free. He returned to the field last season with 65 tackles. For his career, Herzlich had 314 tackles, seven forced fumbles and 11 interceptions.
In signing with the Giants, Herzlich joins a BC-friendly team. Head coach Tom Coughlin coached the Eagles from 1991-1993, while former BC guard Chris Snee has been a Giant since his selection in the second round of the 2004 draft.
Herzlich said on SportsCenter that being undrafted has motivated him to be a force at the next level.
Said Herzlich: “I do have a chip on my shoulder, and there’s really no other way to go about it.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades