|Mark Herzlich signs with Giants||07.26.11 at 10:35 am ET|
Former Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich tweeted Tuesday that he will sign with the Giants as an undrafted free agent.
Tweeted Herzlich: “Decision is made I will be a GIANT can’t wait to get to NYC. Thank you for everything.”
Herzlich was a solid NFL prospect after earning 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors, but was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma (a form of bone cancer) in 2009. Now with a titanium rod in his left leg, Herzlich is cancer-free. He returned to the field last season with 65 tackles. For his career, Herzlich had 314 tackles, seven forced fumbles and 11 interceptions.
In signing with the Giants, Herzlich joins a BC-friendly team. Head coach Tom Coughlin coached the Eagles from 1991-1993, while former BC guard Chris Snee has been a Giant since his selection in the second round of the 2004 draft.
Herzlich said on SportsCenter that being undrafted has motivated him to be a force at the next level.
Said Herzlich: “I do have a chip on my shoulder, and there’s really no other way to go about it.”
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- New England Patriots Links 5/20/13 - Brady Better Than Ever; OTAs Begin
- Dwight Freeney Signs With Chargers; Pats Showed 'Last Minute Interest'
- USA Today: Gronkowski Dealing With Back Issue, Could Face (Another)...
- Patriots Sign Second-Round Pick Jamie Collins
- New England Patriots Links 5/17/13 - Hightower Understands Work Ethic...
- Rapoport: Gronkowski Forearm Surgery 'Imminent'; Likely To Be Monday
- Kyle Love Claimed By Jaguars; Joins Brandon Deaderick