Mark Herzlich signs with Giants
|07.26.11 at 10:35 am ET|
Tweeted Herzlich: “Decision is made I will be a GIANT can’t wait to get to NYC. Thank you for everything.”
Herzlich was a solid NFL prospect after earning 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors, but was diagnosed with Ewing’s sarcoma (a form of bone cancer) in 2009. Now with a titanium rod in his left leg, Herzlich is cancer-free. He returned to the field last season with 65 tackles. For his career, Herzlich had 314 tackles, seven forced fumbles and 11 interceptions.
In signing with the Giants, Herzlich joins a BC-friendly team. Head coach Tom Coughlin coached the Eagles from 1991-1993, while former BC guard Chris Snee has been a Giant since his selection in the second round of the 2004 draft.
Herzlich said on SportsCenter that being undrafted has motivated him to be a force at the next level.
Said Herzlich: “I do have a chip on my shoulder, and there’s really no other way to go about it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England