Patriots sign Maryland tight end Will Yeatman
|07.26.11 at 9:44 am ET|
The Patriots have some big names at tight end, and now they’re set to add a tight end who may not play the position in the NFL. Maryland’s Will Yeatman, a former college lacrosse player, tweeted Tuesday to confirm that he’s signed with New England. Tweeted Yeatman: “Alright people I guess the word is out. I’m a New England Patriot!” The signing was first reported by Aaron Williams of the Carroll County Times.
WEEI.com’s Christopher Price provided a snapshot of Yeatman in his look at 10 undrafted free agents who would make sense for the Patriots, noting that Yeatman’s size could lend itself to a spot on the offensive line in the NFL. Many have projected the 6-foot-5, 275-pound Yeatman as a tackle at the next level.
Yeatman gave up lacrosse in his final season at Maryland to focus on football. He also had eligibility issues due to playing a scrimmage in 2007 that cost him a year of eligibility.
“I’ve wanted to play in the NFL my entire life and it didn’t seem realistic that I could make that happen if I played lacrosse,” he told Inside Lacrosse earlier this year. “I would’ve had to try to get a year of eligibility back. The thing that made the decision easiest was that I’ve been in college for a long time and I’ve been a college athlete long enough. I had to move on and move to the next step of my life and hopefully that’s the NFL.
In three college football seasons (the first two of which were at Notre Dame before transferring), Yeatman had 21 receptions for 177 yards and one touchdown. The vast majority of those statistics were produced in his senior year at Maryland (13 receptions, 134 yards, TD).
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Deatrich Wise Jr NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for New England...
- Brandin Cooks' Contract Option Reportedly Exercised by Patriots
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...