Reports: Ravens to release Todd Heap, Derrick Mason, Kelly Gregg, Willis McGahee
|07.26.11 at 1:17 pm ET|
The cuts come as a surprise to some, as Heap and Mason are the top two receivers in Baltimore franchise history. However, the move frees up $18.6 million in salary cap room for the Ravens, who now look to get involved in the NFL’s recently opened free agency period.
The team could still re-sign one or more of the four players to less expensive contracts. Mason told WBAL radio that he wants to stay in Baltimore.
“This is just another chip on my shoulder,” he said. “This is something else that fuels me and makes me try to be as productive as I can, whether that be in Baltimore — and I hope it is — or somewhere else.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE