Report: Giants sign David Baas
|07.27.11 at 12:42 pm ET|
According to the Sacramento Bee, the Giants have signed former 49ers guard/center David Baas. A veteran of six seasons, Baas was primarily a guard with the 49ers but played last season as a center. He is expected to play center for New York.
Baas will replace Shaun O’Hara, whom the Giants told they plan to release. ESPN New York notes the team will also cut left tackle Shawn Andrews, a former first-round pick of the Eagles in the 2004 draft, as well as guard Rich Seubert.
Coming out of Michigan, Baas was seemingly universally higher rated as a guard prospect than Fresno State’s Logan Mankins, though the Pats chose Mankins with the 32nd overall pick, one slot ahead of where the 49ers selected Baas at the top of the second round. Mankins has made three Pro Bowls and been selected as an All-Pro twice, while Baas has yet to receive either distinction.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...