|Report: Patriots fifth-round pick Lee Smith agrees to contract||07.27.11 at 7:15 pm ET|
The Patriots reportedly reached an agreement on a contract Wednesday with tight end Lee Smith, a fifth-round pick out of Marshall. The 6-foot-6, 266-pounder was taken by New England with the 159th overall pick in the draft, and is the second pick to agree to a deal on Wednesday. (Sixth-round selection Markell Carter reached an agreement earlier in the day on a four-year deal.) According to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com who quotes a league source, Smith received a $171,480 signing bonus.
Known primarily as a blocker his first three collegiate seasons — he had a combined 37 catches his first three years with the Thundering Herd — he nimbly stepped into the role of pass catcher his senior season and came away with 38 receptions for 358 yards and three touchdowns as a senior, all career-bests. (Here’s our feature on him shortly after he was drafted by the Patriots.)
Check out some video of Smith in action as a collegian:
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Patriots Sign Fourth Round Pick Josh Boyce
- Report: Patriots Restructure Julian Edelman's Contract
- New England Patriots Links 5/24/13 - Chandler Jones 'Ramping Up' for Year...
- Bill Belichick and The Greatest Coaches Ever
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs