Report: Patriots fifth-round pick Lee Smith agrees to contract
|07.27.11 at 7:15 pm ET|
The Patriots reportedly reached an agreement on a contract Wednesday with tight end Lee Smith, a fifth-round pick out of Marshall. The 6-foot-6, 266-pounder was taken by New England with the 159th overall pick in the draft, and is the second pick to agree to a deal on Wednesday. (Sixth-round selection Markell Carter reached an agreement earlier in the day on a four-year deal.) According to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com who quotes a league source, Smith received a $171,480 signing bonus.
Known primarily as a blocker his first three collegiate seasons ‘ he had a combined 37 catches his first three years with the Thundering Herd ‘ he nimbly stepped into the role of pass catcher his senior season and came away with 38 receptions for 358 yards and three touchdowns as a senior, all career-bests. (Here’s our feature on him shortly after he was drafted by the Patriots.)
Check out some video of Smith in action as a collegian:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...