Report: Patriots fifth-round pick Lee Smith agrees to contract
|07.27.11 at 7:15 pm ET|
The Patriots reportedly reached an agreement on a contract Wednesday with tight end Lee Smith, a fifth-round pick out of Marshall. The 6-foot-6, 266-pounder was taken by New England with the 159th overall pick in the draft, and is the second pick to agree to a deal on Wednesday. (Sixth-round selection Markell Carter reached an agreement earlier in the day on a four-year deal.) According to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com who quotes a league source, Smith received a $171,480 signing bonus.
Known primarily as a blocker his first three collegiate seasons ‘ he had a combined 37 catches his first three years with the Thundering Herd ‘ he nimbly stepped into the role of pass catcher his senior season and came away with 38 receptions for 358 yards and three touchdowns as a senior, all career-bests. (Here’s our feature on him shortly after he was drafted by the Patriots.)
Check out some video of Smith in action as a collegian:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England