Bill Belichick in process of acquiring Chad Ochcocinco, ‘no doubt about it’
|07.29.11 at 12:58 pm ET|
FOXBORO — While acknowledging the team has traded for former Pro Bowl stars Chad Ochocinco and Albert Haynesworth, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Friday morning that the two trades have yet to be finalized. Both were at Gillette on Friday morning and Ocho even joined Tom Brady on the practice field, talking about the team’s offense.
“We are in the process of working through the trades with Albert and Chad. They still haven’t officially been completed yet so there isn’t really anything I can comment with them,” Belichick said Friday morning. “We’re working through the process and when it’s complete – if it’s complete – we can talk about it then.”
Belichick was not originally scheduled to speak Friday morning at the podium in the Gillette Stadium press box but those plans changed with the news of the Ochocinco trade.
“As it relates to Albert and Chad, any comments on them would just be premature,” Belichick added when pressed. “We’re in the process of it, no doubt about it. It’s not official, they’re not officially on our team and until they are, I just don’t think it’s appropriate to really talk about it as if they are because they’re not.”
Both trades were reported on Thursday, the first day of Patriots training camp. The Patriots reportedly have a deal in place to send a fifth-round pick in 2013 to the Redskins for Haynesworth, a nose tackle who was given a seven-year, $100 million deal prior to the 2009 season, with $41 million in guarenteed money.
Ochocinco was reportedly dealt by the Bengals Thursday afternoon for a pair of late-round, future draft picks. Ochocinco attended his first Patriots practice Friday in Foxboro and spoke with Brady and offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien. Ocho, who is reportedly having his deal restructured over the next three seasons, can’t practice until Aug. 4.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...