Report: Jets restructuring deals to potentially sign Nnamdi Asomugha
|07.29.11 at 4:31 pm ET|
Everyone knew that Jets management wanted to sign Nnamdi Asomugha during this abbreviated free-agent signing season, but Friday brought the clearest indication yet that the players are also willing to do whatever they can to bring in the lockdown corner.
NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi tweeted that the Jets have restructured the contracts of linebacker Bart Scott, running back LaDainian Tomlinson, linebacker Calvin Pace, guard Brandone Moore and will renegotiate a new deal with recently cut quarterback Mark Brunell in order to create the cap space necessary to sign Asomugha.
Asomugha had 19 tackles and zero interceptions over 14 games in 2010, but his biggest strength wasn’t in numbers; rather it was his ability to cover his receiver so well that quarterbacks wouldn’t dare throw the ball his way. Together with Darrelle Revis, the pair would arguably create the best cornerback tandem in the league.
Dallas is thought to be the second team in on the Asomugha sweepstakes.
- The Best Around
- New England Patriots Links 12/06/13 - Sunday Spotlight Will Have Pats'...
- Alfonzo Dennard's Sentence Extended
- New England Patriots resign WR Austin Collie
- New England Patriots Links 12/05/13 - Alfonzo Dennard to Find Out Legal...
- 2013 Week 13 Patriots Power Rankings
- Patriots Are Reliant on Rookies, But Still Winning