Report: Jets restructuring deals to potentially sign Nnamdi Asomugha
|07.29.11 at 4:31 pm ET|
Everyone knew that Jets management wanted to sign Nnamdi Asomugha during this abbreviated free-agent signing season, but Friday brought the clearest indication yet that the players are also willing to do whatever they can to bring in the lockdown corner.
NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi tweeted that the Jets have restructured the contracts of linebacker Bart Scott, running back LaDainian Tomlinson, linebacker Calvin Pace, guard Brandone Moore and will renegotiate a new deal with recently cut quarterback Mark Brunell in order to create the cap space necessary to sign Asomugha.
Asomugha had 19 tackles and zero interceptions over 14 games in 2010, but his biggest strength wasn’t in numbers; rather it was his ability to cover his receiver so well that quarterbacks wouldn’t dare throw the ball his way. Together with Darrelle Revis, the pair would arguably create the best cornerback tandem in the league.
Dallas is thought to be the second team in on the Asomugha sweepstakes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?