Report: Jets restructuring deals to potentially sign Nnamdi Asomugha
|07.29.11 at 4:31 pm ET|
Everyone knew that Jets management wanted to sign Nnamdi Asomugha during this abbreviated free-agent signing season, but Friday brought the clearest indication yet that the players are also willing to do whatever they can to bring in the lockdown corner.
NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi tweeted that the Jets have restructured the contracts of linebacker Bart Scott, running back LaDainian Tomlinson, linebacker Calvin Pace, guard Brandone Moore and will renegotiate a new deal with recently cut quarterback Mark Brunell in order to create the cap space necessary to sign Asomugha.
Asomugha had 19 tackles and zero interceptions over 14 games in 2010, but his biggest strength wasn’t in numbers; rather it was his ability to cover his receiver so well that quarterbacks wouldn’t dare throw the ball his way. Together with Darrelle Revis, the pair would arguably create the best cornerback tandem in the league.
Dallas is thought to be the second team in on the Asomugha sweepstakes.
2015 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2015 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Must Move to Re-Sign Connolly
- Realistic Trade Partners for Patriots in NFL Draft
- Patriots Rapid-Fire Predictions for NFL Draft
- Making Pats' Case for Jordan Phillips
- Potential Day One Starters for the Patriots
- Why Easley Is Patriots' Most Overlooked Starter
- Best, Worst Case Scenarios for Pats' Top 3 Picks