Reports: Nnamdi Asomugha signs with Eagles
|07.29.11 at 6:20 pm ET|
No, there wasn’t any hour-long ESPN special. No Boys & Girls Club. No Jim Gray.
According to multiple reports that nearly exploded the social media site, star cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha has decided to sign a five-year deal with the Eagles. ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who first reported the news, tweeted that the deal is worth $60 million with $25 million being guaranteed.
The three-time Pro Bowler had spent eight seasons playing for the Raiders and notched 19 tackles and zero interceptions in 14 games last year. However, his strength is not in his statistics. Many teams consider Asomugha to be so good at covering wide receivers that they will simply not throw the ball in his direction, leading to fewer tackles and picks.
Asmougha was rumored to be signing with either the Jets or the Cowboys before the news broke that both were out of the running. The Eagles appeared to enter as a mystery team and inked the corner to a deal in a similar fashion to the way their baseball friends the Phillies signed Cliff Lee during the baseball offseason.
The Eagles allowed the third-most passing touchdowns in 2010 with 31 and ranked tied for 14th in passing yards allowed per game last season with 216.8.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL