Patriots add two old faces in McGowan and White, drop a rookie
|07.30.11 at 6:03 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Saturday afternoon that they have re-signed veteran defensive back Brandon McGowan and linebacker Tracy White, and have released rookie linebacker Anthony Leonard.
The return of McGowan and White will provide the New England special teams unit with a dependable pair of veterans. The 27-year-old McGowan, who joined the Patriots in 2009, was on injured reserve for all of 2010 with a chest injury. The 5-foot-11, 210-pound McGowan has amassed 181 tackles, two interceptions, 10 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries over his six-year career, including 66 total tackles, 10 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery in 2009. He currently projects as a special teamer and backup safety.
The 30-year-old White is a nine-year veteran who came to New England in 2010, and evolved into a special teamer last year, finishing with 18 special teams tackles for the Patriots in 2010.
As for Leonard, there seems to be some question about his future. The rookie free agent out of West Virginia, who was originally signed on July 27, initially tweeted that he was being placed on injured reserve ‘ which was quickly removed ‘ then he added: “A Detour sign is not a “dead end”… It’s directions to the rite path.” Bottom line there? He could be in the team’s future plans. Last season with West Virginia, he started all 13 games and finished third on the team with 70 tackles, including 6.5 for a loss.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...