Patriots add two old faces in McGowan and White, drop a rookie
|07.30.11 at 6:03 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Saturday afternoon that they have re-signed veteran defensive back Brandon McGowan and linebacker Tracy White, and have released rookie linebacker Anthony Leonard.
The return of McGowan and White will provide the New England special teams unit with a dependable pair of veterans. The 27-year-old McGowan, who joined the Patriots in 2009, was on injured reserve for all of 2010 with a chest injury. The 5-foot-11, 210-pound McGowan has amassed 181 tackles, two interceptions, 10 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries over his six-year career, including 66 total tackles, 10 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery in 2009. He currently projects as a special teamer and backup safety.
The 30-year-old White is a nine-year veteran who came to New England in 2010, and evolved into a special teamer last year, finishing with 18 special teams tackles for the Patriots in 2010.
As for Leonard, there seems to be some question about his future. The rookie free agent out of West Virginia, who was originally signed on July 27, initially tweeted that he was being placed on injured reserve — which was quickly removed — then he added: “A Detour sign is not a “dead end”… It’s directions to the rite path.” Bottom line there? He could be in the team’s future plans. Last season with West Virginia, he started all 13 games and finished third on the team with 70 tackles, including 6.5 for a loss.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Aaron Hernandez Questioned, Has Home Searched after Killing
- Report: Rob Gronkowski Back Surgery Completed and Successful
- Fantasy Outlook: Patriots RB Stevan Ridley
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 5
- New England Patriots Links 6/18/13 - Shane Vereen: Offense Has 'Sour...
- New England Patriots Links 6/17/13 - Leon Washington Hopes to Contribute...
- New England Patriots Links 6/14/13 - WRs: It's Amendola, Everyone Else