Cris Carter tells ESPN that Patriots offered Randy Moss a one-year deal
|08.01.11 at 3:07 pm ET|
Cris Carter, a former teammate of Randy Moss in Minnesota, hinted Monday the Patriots offered Moss a one-year deal to return for the 2011 season, but the wide receiver wanted a multiyear contract. When that didn’t materialize ‘ along with a possible deal with the Jets ‘ he made the decision to call it a career.
“What I think forced (his retirement) was No. 1, New England trading for (Chad) Ochocinco,’ Carter said when asked about Moss on ESPN. ‘That’s the No. 1 place he wanted to go to. His biggest problem with New England was he didn’t want a one-year deal. New England wanted to sign him to a one-year deal. As you can see, New England gave Chad that three-year deal.
‘When those two teams were removed from him and his ability to go play with them, I think that Randy reacted a lot like the Randy that came into the league, like the Randy we’ve seen, and he said, ‘You know something? I’m not just going to play for anyone.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...