Cris Carter tells ESPN that Patriots offered Randy Moss a one-year deal
|08.01.11 at 3:07 pm ET|
Cris Carter, a former teammate of Randy Moss in Minnesota, hinted Monday the Patriots offered Moss a one-year deal to return for the 2011 season, but the wide receiver wanted a multiyear contract. When that didn’t materialize ‘ along with a possible deal with the Jets ‘ he made the decision to call it a career.
“What I think forced (his retirement) was No. 1, New England trading for (Chad) Ochocinco,’ Carter said when asked about Moss on ESPN. ‘That’s the No. 1 place he wanted to go to. His biggest problem with New England was he didn’t want a one-year deal. New England wanted to sign him to a one-year deal. As you can see, New England gave Chad that three-year deal.
‘When those two teams were removed from him and his ability to go play with them, I think that Randy reacted a lot like the Randy that came into the league, like the Randy we’ve seen, and he said, ‘You know something? I’m not just going to play for anyone.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself