Matt Roth, Chris Morris reportedly make visits to Foxboro
|08.02.11 at 8:58 pm ET|
FOXBORO ‘ According to a tweet from John Clayton of ESPN, the Patriots held a workout with former Browns linebacker Matt Roth on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old Roth is a 6-foot-4, 275-pounder out of Iowa who is known as a solid presence against both the run and the pass. He played the majority of the last two seasons in Cleveland after being claimed off waivers in November of 2009. He had 3.5 sacks last year for the Browns after having four and five in 2010 and 2009, respectively.
He has a real familiarity with the responsibilities of an outside linebacker in a Bill Belichick-style 3-4 ‘ since college, Roth has played almost exclusively for former Belichick lieutenants. As a collegian, he was with Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. In the pros, he’s also had stints with in Nick Saban (Miami) and Eric Mangini (Cleveland), which would likely mean an easy transition in New England.
In addtion, it was reported that center Chris Morris had a visit with the Patriots on Tuesday. Morris, 28, is a 6-foot-4, 305-pounder who has been in the league for the last five seasons, four with Oakland and one with Carolina.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself