Say hello to Ras-I Dowling and Shane Vereen and goodbye to Jonathan Crompton
|08.02.11 at 1:50 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots came to terms Tuesday with their two second-round draft picks as defensive back Ras-I Dowling and running back Shane Vereen signed on the dotted line and reported to camp.
The Patriots also released first-year QB Jonathan Crompton and signed rookie defensive end Christian Cox out of Utah.
Dowling, a defensive back from Virginia, was the 33rd selection overall. At 6-foot-1, Dowling, started 25 of 40 games at right corner for the Cavaliers, recording 160 tackles (115 solo). Dowling, 23, who played in all 12 games with two starts as a true freshman, was voted a team captain as a senior.
Vereen, a running back from California, was selected by the Patriots in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft with the 56th selection overall. Vereen, 5-9, 205 pounds, finished his college career with 2,834 rushing yards (5.10 avg.) and 29 touchdowns and 674 receiving yards on 74 receptions and six touchdowns.
Cox, a 25-year old rookie free agent, was a first-team all-conference defensive who originally came to Utah as a walk-on. The 6-3, 250-pounder earned all conference honors in 2010 after starting all 13 games and finishing with 53 total tackles and 4.0 sacks. Crompton, 6-3, 222 pounds, was originally drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft out of Tennessee.
He was waived by San Diego on Sept. 4. Crompton was signed to the San Diego practice squad on Sept. 5 but was waived from the squad on Sept. 7. He was signed to the New England practice squad on Nov. 3.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England