Patriots bring in 34-year-old veteran Shaun Ellis for a look-see
|08.04.11 at 6:33 pm ET|
FOXBORO — In an effort to continue to look for more ways to bolster their defensive line, the Patriots had veteran defensive end Shaun Ellis in Foxboro for a workout, WEEI.com’s Chris Price has confirmed.
The first of four first-round draft picks that the Jets had that year, Ellis made an immediate impact, recording 8.5 sacks in his rookie season. Only Hugh Douglas had more sacks as a Jets rookie, posting 10 in 1995.
After struggling in 2001 and 2002 with less-than-average sack numbers, Ellis rebounded in 2003 with an impressive 12.5 sacks. Ellis followed up his 2003 season with 11 sacks in 2004. Ellis anchored a strong Jets run defense which contributed to a 10-6 season and a wild card berth. The Patriots have already reworked their defensive line, bringing in nose tackle Albert Haynesworth to play alongside Vince Wilfork.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots