Patriots bring in 34-year-old veteran Shaun Ellis for a look-see
|08.04.11 at 6:33 pm ET|
FOXBORO — In an effort to continue to look for more ways to bolster their defensive line, the Patriots had veteran defensive end Shaun Ellis in Foxboro for a workout, WEEI.com’s Chris Price has confirmed.
The first of four first-round draft picks that the Jets had that year, Ellis made an immediate impact, recording 8.5 sacks in his rookie season. Only Hugh Douglas had more sacks as a Jets rookie, posting 10 in 1995.
After struggling in 2001 and 2002 with less-than-average sack numbers, Ellis rebounded in 2003 with an impressive 12.5 sacks. Ellis followed up his 2003 season with 11 sacks in 2004. Ellis anchored a strong Jets run defense which contributed to a 10-6 season and a wild card berth. The Patriots have already reworked their defensive line, bringing in nose tackle Albert Haynesworth to play alongside Vince Wilfork.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know