ESPN’s Rich Cimini on The Big Show: Shaun Ellis doesn’t have ‘much left in the tank’
|08.08.11 at 5:10 pm ET|
ESPN New York reporter Rich Cimini checked in with The Big Show Monday afternoon to talk about Shaun Ellis and Jets coach Rex Ryan. To hear the interview, click on the Big Show audio on demand page.
Cimini said that Ellis would best serve the Patriots as a reserve.
“I don’t think he can be a starter any more,” Cimini said, adding: “I don’t think he’s got that much left in the tank.”
The Jets were surprised by Ellis’ decision to play for the Patriots, Cimini said.
“They felt that if there was ever a guy who would finish his career with the Jets, it would be Shaun Ellis after 11 years,” Cimini said. Cimini also said the Jets understood that Ellis’ choice came after the Jets “lowballed him,” offering him a veteran’s minimum contract of $910,000.
Cimini called Ellis a good signing for the Patriots “because he’s versatile,” and said that Ellis would probably record 3-5 sacks while providing “veteran leadership off the bench.”
Cimini said that Ryan has become “basically the leader of the Jets.” He said that many of Ryan’s more pointedly anti-Patriots comments are “predetermined,” and not reflective of any real obsession with New England.
“Some of it is off-the-cuff, but some of it is totally orchestrated,” Cimini said. “He knows how to play the media. He’s very smart that way.”
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- New England Patriots Links 6/19/13 - Patriots Dominate on First Down
- Police Searched Aaron Hernandez' Home For More than Two Hours
- Aaron Hernandez Questioned, Has Home Searched after Killing
- Report: Rob Gronkowski Back Surgery Completed and Successful
- Fantasy Outlook: Patriots RB Stevan Ridley
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 5
- New England Patriots Links 6/18/13 - Shane Vereen: Offense Has 'Sour...