ESPN’s Rich Cimini on The Big Show: Shaun Ellis doesn’t have ‘much left in the tank’
|08.08.11 at 5:10 pm ET|
Cimini said that Ellis would best serve the Patriots as a reserve.
‘I don’t think he can be a starter any more,’ Cimini said, adding: ‘I don’t think he’s got that much left in the tank.’
The Jets were surprised by Ellis’ decision to play for the Patriots, Cimini said.
‘They felt that if there was ever a guy who would finish his career with the Jets, it would be Shaun Ellis after 11 years,’ Cimini said. Cimini also said the Jets understood that Ellis’ choice came after the Jets ‘lowballed him,’ offering him a veteran’s minimum contract of $910,000.
Cimini called Ellis a good signing for the Patriots ‘because he’s versatile,’ and said that Ellis would probably record 3-5 sacks while providing ‘veteran leadership off the bench.’
Cimini said that Ryan has become ‘basically the leader of the Jets.’ He said that many of Ryan’s more pointedly anti-Patriots comments are ‘predetermined,’ and not reflective of any real obsession with New England.
‘Some of it is off-the-cuff, but some of it is totally orchestrated,’ Cimini said. ‘He knows how to play the media. He’s very smart that way.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...