ESPN’s Rich Cimini on The Big Show: Shaun Ellis doesn’t have ‘much left in the tank’
|08.08.11 at 5:10 pm ET|
Cimini said that Ellis would best serve the Patriots as a reserve.
‘I don’t think he can be a starter any more,’ Cimini said, adding: ‘I don’t think he’s got that much left in the tank.’
The Jets were surprised by Ellis’ decision to play for the Patriots, Cimini said.
‘They felt that if there was ever a guy who would finish his career with the Jets, it would be Shaun Ellis after 11 years,’ Cimini said. Cimini also said the Jets understood that Ellis’ choice came after the Jets ‘lowballed him,’ offering him a veteran’s minimum contract of $910,000.
Cimini called Ellis a good signing for the Patriots ‘because he’s versatile,’ and said that Ellis would probably record 3-5 sacks while providing ‘veteran leadership off the bench.’
Cimini said that Ryan has become ‘basically the leader of the Jets.’ He said that many of Ryan’s more pointedly anti-Patriots comments are ‘predetermined,’ and not reflective of any real obsession with New England.
‘Some of it is off-the-cuff, but some of it is totally orchestrated,’ Cimini said. ‘He knows how to play the media. He’s very smart that way.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction