From Foxboro: Patriots-Jaguars set to battle in preseason opener
|08.11.11 at 6:19 pm ET|
FOXBORO — And so it has finally arrived. No labor talk. No CBA posturing. No contract talk. Just football. Sure it doesn’t count for real and the stars of this game will likely be second and third-stringers. But football and the Patriots have returned to Gillette Stadium.
Some perspective here. The team just began practicing with their regulars – and not even all of them – one week ago.
While the play might not be perfect, the weather sure is. Game time conditions are expected to consist of clear skies, 72 degrees and a pleasant breeze in from the north.
Tom Brady was not spotted and it wouldn’t come as a shocker if Brady didn’t play a single snap.
This is just the second time the Patriots have faced the Jaguars in the preseason, both at Gillette. Back in 2004, the Patriots were skunked 31-0 in the preseason finale but somehow recovered from that emotional blow to post their second straight 14-2 season, en route to their second straight Super Bowl title and third in four years.
As colleague DJ Bean points out, this is the second straight year the Patriots will be opening their preseason against a first-round rookie quarterback as Blaine Gabbert gets the call for the injured David Garrard (back). Last year, the Patriots opened against Sam Bradford and the Rams, who made it to the last week of the season before being eliminated by the Seahawks.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions