Patriots lead Jaguars after first quarter
|08.11.11 at 8:22 pm ET|
The first quarter of the Patriots’ preseason is in the books, with the Patriots leading, 7-6, on a touchdown from rookie Stevan Ridley. The rookie ran it in from the 1-yard-line late in the quarter to give the team the lead after the Jaguars’ first two drives yielded field goals.
Tenth overall pick Blaine Gabbert‘s first professional series featured a four-man front from the Patriots in all 11 snaps. After an Aaron Hernandez fumble doomed the Patriots’ first drive on its opening play, the Pats used Jermaine Cunningham standing up on the second defensive series. As a result, the Pats featured a three-man front for each of the three plays. They then used a four-man front on the first two snaps of Jacksonville’s third drive, and forced them to punt when Mark Anderson created good pressure to lead to a nine-yard Landon Cohen sack.
Thus far, Hernandez has fumbled twice, and he received an earful on the sidelines from Bill Belichick after the second one.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE
- Rob Gronkowski Contract: Latest News, Rumors on TE's Negotiations with...