Patriots lead Jaguars after first quarter
|08.11.11 at 8:22 pm ET|
The first quarter of the Patriots’ preseason is in the books, with the Patriots leading, 7-6, on a touchdown from rookie Stevan Ridley. The rookie ran it in from the 1-yard-line late in the quarter to give the team the lead after the Jaguars’ first two drives yielded field goals.
Tenth overall pick Blaine Gabbert‘s first professional series featured a four-man front from the Patriots in all 11 snaps. After an Aaron Hernandez fumble doomed the Patriots’ first drive on its opening play, the Pats used Jermaine Cunningham standing up on the second defensive series. As a result, the Pats featured a three-man front for each of the three plays. They then used a four-man front on the first two snaps of Jacksonville’s third drive, and forced them to punt when Mark Anderson created good pressure to lead to a nine-yard Landon Cohen sack.
Thus far, Hernandez has fumbled twice, and he received an earful on the sidelines from Bill Belichick after the second one.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots