Patriots sign offensive lineman Zack Roth, drop two others
|08.13.11 at 2:49 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Saturday they have signed rookie free agent defensive lineman Zack Roth. Terms of the contract were not announced. Additionally, the Patriots announced that offensive lineman Chris Morris and defensive lineman Steve Williams have been released.
Roth, 6-foot-6 and 319 pounds, is a rookie free agent from Texas Christian University. Last season, Roth started 10 games at right tackle and helped anchor an offensive line that enabled TCU to set a single-season school record for touchdowns (73), points scored (541) and total offense (6,199 yards). Roth teamed with Patriots fifth-round draft choice OL Marcus Cannon, who manned the left tackle position.
Morris, 6-foot-4, 305 pounds, signed with the Patriots on August 3. He is a veteran of five NFL seasons with the Oakland Raiders (2006-09) and Carolina Panthers (2010). Morris was originally a seventh round draft pick (214th overall) by Oakland in the 2006 NFL Draft out of Michigan State. Morris, 27, has played in 51 NFL games with 11 starting assignments. He has logged significant playing time at both guard and center and has also handled long snapping duties. Morris’ most productive season was in 2009 when he started 10 games for the Raiders- four at center and six at left guard. Last season with Carolina, Morris played in four games as a reserve.
Williams, 6-foot-2 and 306 pounds, was signed by the Patriots on July 30. He most recently spent two seasons with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League. After going undrafted in the 2006 NFL Draft, Williams signed with the Kansas City Chiefs where he saw his only NFL regular season action. Williams then spent the 2007 season with the Carolina Panthers before he was signed by the Patriots on May 4, 2009. He was waived on Sept. 4, 2009.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction