Patriots add LB depth by signing Niko Koutouvides
|08.14.11 at 1:44 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Adding more depth to their corps of linebackers, the Patriots Sunday announced they have signed veteran free agent Niko Koutouvides. Terms of the deal, which puts the Patriots at the 90-man roster limit, were not disclosed.
Koutouvides, at 6-foot-2, 238-pounds, has played seven NFL seasons with the Seahawks (2004-07), Broncos (2008) and Buccaneers (2010). He originally entered the NFL as a fourth round draft pick (116th overall) of Seattle in 2004 out of Purdue. After four seasons with the Seahawks, he signed with Denver as an unrestricted free agent in 2008. He was released by Denver after the season and signed with Tampa Bay in the 2009 offseason.
Koutouvides has played in 103 games with two starts and registered 101 special teams tackles and 54 total tackles on defense. He has also played in eight postseason games, including Super Bowl XL while with Seattle.
Koutouvides also has New England roots, as he was born in Plainville, Connecticut and attended Plainville High School, where he was a letterman in football and was named the team’s Most Valuable Player. He was also an All-Conference selection, and an All-State Honorable Mention selection. Koutouvides attended Milford Academy, in 1999 and was a student and a letterman in football. leading the team in sacks and finishing second on the team in tackles.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots File Amicus Brief Supporting Brady's Deflategate Suspension...
- Deep Battle Brewing for Roster Spots at WR for Patriots
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense
- Can Malcom Brown Make 2nd-Year Jump for Patriots?
- Is Cannon Safe on Patriots' Roster?
- Can Garoppolo Carry Patriots in Brady's Absence?