Patriots add LB depth by signing Niko Koutouvides
|08.14.11 at 1:44 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Adding more depth to their corps of linebackers, the Patriots Sunday announced they have signed veteran free agent Niko Koutouvides. Terms of the deal, which puts the Patriots at the 90-man roster limit, were not disclosed.
Koutouvides, at 6-foot-2, 238-pounds, has played seven NFL seasons with the Seahawks (2004-07), Broncos (2008) and Buccaneers (2010). He originally entered the NFL as a fourth round draft pick (116th overall) of Seattle in 2004 out of Purdue. After four seasons with the Seahawks, he signed with Denver as an unrestricted free agent in 2008. He was released by Denver after the season and signed with Tampa Bay in the 2009 offseason.
Koutouvides has played in 103 games with two starts and registered 101 special teams tackles and 54 total tackles on defense. He has also played in eight postseason games, including Super Bowl XL while with Seattle.
Koutouvides also has New England roots, as he was born in Plainville, Connecticut and attended Plainville High School, where he was a letterman in football and was named the team’s Most Valuable Player. He was also an All-Conference selection, and an All-State Honorable Mention selection. Koutouvides attended Milford Academy, in 1999 and was a student and a letterman in football. leading the team in sacks and finishing second on the team in tackles.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England